Our Women's Center for Education and Entrepreneurship
Tiwale’s Microfinance program begins with a week-long business education workshop. During this week participants engage in discussions on entrepreneurship, leadership, and business skills including profit calculation, record-keeping, stock accounting and sustainability planning. After the training, participants form teams of three and develop a business plan together. The best business plans are awarded interest-free loans worth USD $70. The program has aided 40 women to successfully start small sustainable businesses.
Currently, Tiwale provides school grants to promising female candidates interested in returning to secondary school. Our grant winners are mentored by successful, educated Malawian women on the Tiwale board. We require reports and updates on the student’s progress each term. Our grant includes educational fees, school equipment, transportation costs, and a small living stipend.
In the near future, we will be opening our secondary school classes at our recently constructed women's center in Mtsiliza, Malawi
Tiwale hosts a tie-dyeing training classes for Mtsiliza women. The program has been successful with 66 women learning the tie-dying skill. Tiwale women meet every Friday afternoon to dye fabric that is later sold via our online store as tapestries. 40% of the sales’ profits are distributed to Tiwale women as stipends while the remaining 60 percent is reinvested into Tiwale to help maintain our education program.
Every Friday, Tiwale hosts sewing classes for 30 women. Some of the products made include tote bags, dresses, and jumpsuits. We currently only have four sewing machines but are looking for six more so we can expand the program, and host a design school at our women's center. The sewn products are sold via our online store and sales support our operations and programs costs.
TeaWale was co-founded by the published writer, Takondwa Priscilla Semphere. It is a space for young African to share creative work, thoughts, ideas and other narrations. The blog has been successful with some work being republished on Huffington Post and Ayiba Magazine.
Check out TeaWale here!